26.9.08

iPod touch hate

I do not own an iPod touch. I do not like thier tagline. I do not want one. While these three things seem like a child's disconnected statements, for me they are completely rational; the first two conditions leading to the logical third conclusion.


I LOVE ADVERTISING. This does not mean that I am awed or affected by all the glitz and glamour, ingenuity, or cleverness. For the most part marketing does not work on me. However, I get excited about brilliant advertising. I recognize the brilliance in the subtle persuasion, and for the very fact that they have a brilliant ad*, I will often buy the product. Call it a hats off to the marketing director. Some of my favorites:


Kaiser (even though her voice gets annoying, the idea is perfect)
Skittles Taste the Rainbow so needs to be revived
Chevrolet (like a rock)
Chanel
Apple

Ah, Apple. For some time now you have been the leader. Even though I don't always believe in the public humiliation of the PC, you've been able to do it with as much tact as is possible. And the beauty in your simplicity is hard to beat, as are those bright colors. But SERIOUSLY? "the funnest iPod ever"? I say funnest in conversation. I may even write in on occasion. But here, you're trying too hard. Possibly to appeal to the younger generation, which is what's wrong with so many advertising campaigns. And the beauty of the Apple adverts is that you look like your product is so good that you don't need to try too hard. Disappointment comes easily. I thought you would last. It'll take an even-better-than-before new gig for Apple to retain it's first place in Beth's Advertising Book.


Plus I don't really think a single breakable screen/buttons/etc wandering around in my purse and being dropped all the time is a good idea for me. But you know. I love to talk about advertising. And touch is just such a weird word. iPhone I can say. But really, do you go about saying "my iPod touch" (too long and pompous) or "my touch" (too Michael Jackson) or "my iPod" (if you can't flaunt it, why pay**)? The indecision would kill me.


*Print is my favorite. It's the hardest to do, as it only assaults one already over-stimulated sense, so you have to be good to pull it off.

**hear the sarcasm

0 opinionated people say...: