23.12.08

all I want for Christmas is to never see another sugar cookie ever never ever

Last night I saw several friends from highschool for the first time in over a year. The last time was for Dana's baby shower, and that adorable little one is now toddling around her kitchen. It was good to see them. And we made a million sugar cookies! Seriously, so many. And DID YOU KNOW they make neon food coloring? Some of the things we said/did made me happy that I would have chosen the same friends over again:

We made aliens, and wrote sloppy names on cookies for people who weren't there, and made fun of each other, and listened, and really just didn't care that we hadn't seen each other much in the last seven years. We just hung out and had fun. No round-the-tables of how each person's doing or deep conversations. I think we were a third of the way into the evening when I found out one of them had gotten married about six months ago to her long-time boyfriend. Not too many remember-whens except to laugh at each other. It was fun, and a little strange, because we seriously all look almost completely the same. I still like my friends.

Ahh, nostalgia. And now: self-reflection. What a cheesy way to end the year.

Spending time with these people makes me realize how much I've morphed over the years. I'm still myself, definitely, but sheesh, I wasn't even into country music yet in high school. At friend-gatherings then I'd keep most things inside, standing by with an amused smile on my face. Now I blurt out whatever comes to mind, minus profanity.

I'm comfortable with who I've become. I have no fear. No regrets thus far. Thanks be to God.

0 opinionated people say...: